Asian Film Awards 2021 Winners List: Yoo Ah In, ‘Squid Game’ star Lee Byung Hun, and more
Following last year’s online-only edition, this year's awards were presented at an in-person ceremony at the ongoing Busan International Film Festival in South Korea
Last October 8 saw the 15th Asian Film Awards (AFA) returning to an in-person ceremony format at the Busan International Film Festival in South Korea with many of the winners in attendance or accepting their awards by video teleconferencing. Some incredible talents in film that attended the ceremony in person included Yoo Ah In (Voice of Silence), Lee Byung Hun, and Aoi Yu (Wife of a Spy).
Veteran Japanese filmmaker Kurosawa Kiyoshi’s period action drama Wife of a Spy was the biggest winner of the evening. It collected three major prizes including the best film award, best actress, and best costume design. Best director went to Chinese veteran Zhang Yimou for his tribute to cinema One Second, with the film earning Liu Haocun the best newcomer award.
Lee Byung Hun was honored at this year's ceremony with the Excellence in Asian cinema award. In his acceptance speech, he expressed pride for the current success of Netflix series Squid Game, in which he played a very important role. He says: "As with the recognition for Parasite last year, native sentiments are shared simultaneously throughout the world and regardless of language."
The complete list of winners at the Asian Film Awards 2021 below:
- Best Film: Wife of a Spy directed by Kurosawa Kiyoshi
- Best director: Zhang Yimou, for One Second
- Best new director: Hong Eui-jeong for Voice of Silence
- Best actor: Yoo Ah-in in Voice of Silence
- Best actress: Aoi Yu in Wife of a Spy
- Best supporting actor: Kim Hyun-bin for The Silent Forest
- Best supporting actress: Makita Aju for True Mothers
- Best screenplay: Chaitanya Tamhane for The Disciple
- Best newcomer: Liu Haocun in One Second
- Best editing: Li Yongyi for Cliff Walkers
- Best visual effects: Tim Crosbie, Joy Wu for The Eight Hundred
- Best cinematography: Masoud Amini Tirani for The Wasteland
- Best costume design: Koketsu Haruki for Wife of a Spy
- Best production design: Kenneth Mak for Limbo
- Best original music: Day Tai for “The Way We Keep Dancing”
- Best sound: Nopawat Likitwong for Limbo
- Excellence in Asian cinema: Lee Byung Hun
- Highest grossing Asian film of 2020: Demon Slayer: The Movie – Mugen Train