A Happy And Safe New Year: Tips To Protecting Your Loved Ones From Mosquitoes This New Year’s Day
Christmas might be over, but the party continues as we rev up for the New Year’s Day celebrations!
As you spruce up your lovely spaces, ready to welcome family and friends, don’t forget to double up as well on the cleaning, ensuring that your home becomes a safe haven from pests and sickness.
During this time of celebration, we have to be extra careful in maintaining the cleanliness of our spaces, especially when certain spots can easily become a festering ground for pests such as mosquitoes, which can cause nasty, painful bites as well as dengue, Japanese encephalitis and Chikungunya, among other illnesses.
More than a mere annoyance, mosquitoes are, in fact, quite dangerous, and are the number one killer in the world, causing more human fatalities than sharks.
They may look harmless, but according to the Department of Health (DOH), 138,000 cases of dengue have been recorded this year, which is 21% higher from last year’s record. The astounding numbers of dengue and malaria cases over the years have proven that mosquitoes are deadlier than they look.
Here are some tips to keeping your home and family safe from these pesky insects.
1. Aedes mosquito eggs develop in stagnant water. Eliminate potential breeding grounds like water in unused tires, and cover all water containers such as empty cans and bottles.
2. Change water in the vases, pot bases and water containers, and add larvicide at least once a month to prevent mosquitoes from breeding.
3. Clean and discard any dried leaves that may clog the roof gutters and drains once a week to prevent water stagnation.
4. Mosquitoes usually become more active during dusk and dawn as they’re a nocturnal species. Install mosquito netting/ screens on all windows to protect your family.
5. Mosquitoes are attracted to heat and they find lactic acid (found in sweat) especially alluring, so larger individuals are particularly “appetizing” to mosquitoes.
6. Keep the swimming pool clean and chlorinate it every month even when not in use.
7. Avoid dark colors. Do not wear dark colors or use strong scents such as perfumes and deodorants as these attract insects.
While we can lather up on anti-mosquito lotions and the like, nothing can bring greater confidence and safety than allowing professionals to take care of the job. As mosquitoes are pervasive pests, the most effective way to get rid of them is to arrange for specialized treatments by highly trained pest control professionals such as Rentokil.
Rentokil, as a reliable pest control expert, can safely and swiftly address your mosquito invasion. Its Integrated Mosquito Management (IMM) service is a specially designed, holistic program proven to be an effective approach to mosquito control in the long run.
It’s four (4)-step program is targeted to kill mosquitoes at every stage of its life cycle. This includes the following treatment:
As we cap off the year with fun reunions and get-togethers, ensure the safety and protection of your loved ones by allowing the professionals to take care of your mosquito and pest problem. With Rentokil, you’re assured of a truly happy – and safe – New Year’s celebration!
For FREE survey and assessment for integrated mosquito management service, you can contact Rentokil or call (02) 333 5868 for Metro Manila and for outside Manila, our Toll Free Hotline 1800 10 397 3787 (EXPERTS), or visit www.rentokil.com.ph
You can also follow them on Facebook: @rentokilphilippines, for more tips on how to protect your family, friends and employees, and mitigate risks from mosquitoes and other pests.