Lifestyle Consultant Aimee Hashim Shares The 8 Investments To Make To Start Your Designer Collection
“Just try it once, let’s see what you’ll say after”—this is the reply personal shopper and lifestyle consultant Aimee Hashim of LoveLuxeBags received when she once asked why people keep on buying expensive clothes.
Later on in life, the fashion-savvy Aimee pursued nursing, but found herself juggling her medical books with novels from Sophie Kinsella’s Shopaholic series. She eventually understood what it is about fashion that makes it so addictive. She saw herself in Rebecca Bloomwood—“I told myself, ‘This is so me. This is what I live for.’” With that realization, her life has never been the same again.
If Rebecca is “The Girl in the Green Scarf,” Aimee was that grade-schooler in the green Dolce & Gabbana shirt. It was a piece that would always make her happy. It was a piece that sparked her fashion awakening.
Aimee Hashim of LoveLuxeBags
Years passed, and Aimee made a fashion expert out of herself—self-taught, self-made, and self-reliant. Fashion is serious business, and she’s made it her business to spread the love of fashion one designer item at a time.
To answer her own question on why people are drawn to purchasing clothes from luxury brands, Aimee explains, “Iba ‘yung bagsak, iba ‘yung tagal ng products. Kahit ilang beses mo s’yang gamitin. A vintage Chanel tweed jacket will last you many years.”
On Aimee: Vintage tweed jacket, black bodysuit, belt, necklace, necklace used as a bracelet, and bag all by Chanel; and ripped jeans by J Brand
While it’s true that there are lots of quality fashion items in the market now that are being sold at far more affordable prices, lovers and collectors of designer brands believe these luxury goods are investments, and that’s true.
There’s no arguing, too, how great they make one feel the moment they’re worn or carried. The material, the workmanship, the texture, the fit, the feel on one’s skin—everything that makes a designer item just feels different in an amazingly beautiful way.
Knowing that what you’re wearing is made with excellent quality that meets global trends and standards also contributes to boosting one’s confidence. And that’s what ultimately makes the investment well worth it.
If you’re just starting to appreciate and invest on luxury designer items, Aimee is the best person to tell you which ones to get your hands on first, to kick-start what would be an enviable collection. Check out her recommendations in this Metro.Style exclusive:
1. A pair of Manolo Blahniks. Aimee suggests a versatile champagne-colored pair, like the Hangisi satin buckle pumps, that’s classic and easy to match with most outfits. Manolo Blahnik is one of the world’s most influential footwear designers, and owning a pair from this brand is indicative of a great sense of style. Aimee's loyal celebrity client and friend, Marian Rivera, has a collection of Manolo Blahniks!
2. A pair of Christian Louboutins. The French fashion designer, known for high-end stilettos with the signature red lacquered soles, always find a space in the closets of well-heeled women—and for good reason. Classy and timeless, there’s also no denying how Louboutins make one feel sexy and confident. The perennially chic Louboutin pumps and platform sandals are absolute must-haves.
3. A pair of Rene Caovillas. Aimee says this brand is “for those who want to veer away from the common, who want to stand out. The sparkles and glitters as well as the intricate workmanship put in every detail are pieces of art in themselves.” The Italian tradition, craftsmanship, and art of shoemaking are evident in every bejeweled pair of Rene Caovillas. Favored by top models like Heidi Klum, Alessandra Ambrosio, Adriana Lima, Ashley Graham, Joan Smalls, and Gigi and Bella Hadid, among many others, Rene Caovilla pairs always add extra shine to an outfit.
4. A pair of denim jeans. Denim jeans are a closet staple. Even the most girly-girl fashionista owns at least one pair. It’s a versatile piece that can be worn with countless variations of tops and cover-ups, making it the go-to item of many women. For this shoot, Aimee wore a pair of studded flared jeans by Gucci, which is back on trend today but is actually something that has been considered stylish even back in the 70s. Fashion is cyclical. Trends come and go. But denim jeans will forever be chic.
On Aimee: Red and white top by Saint Laurent, black biker jacket by Junya Watanabe, studded flared jeans by Gucci, buckle belt and phone holder both by Dior, and silver platform heels by Fendi
5. A wristwatch. This is a classic finishing touch to your ensemble, so it could make or break your look. Invest in a quality wristwatch. “Starter is a Rolex Datejust, and advanced is a Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711A,” says Aimee.
On Aimee: Watch by Patek Philippe
6. A Chanel Double Flap bag. When it comes to designer bags, Chanel is always top of mind; it's not hard to see why. In a research study published on online platform Baghunter in 2016, the Medium Classic Flap Bag (or the 2.55 Bag), which was first released in 1955, was said to have had a “rapid value increase of over 70% since 2010, outperforming housing prices and the S&P 500 in the last six years.” Think of this as an investment.
7. A Balmain blazer. All women need an ever-reliable blazer. And if you’re thinking of buying one to boost your image and establish a strong presence, then a Balmain blazer is what you should purchase, bar none! With its sharp shape and silhouette, plus luxurious details with military and rock influences, this iconic blazer is power dressing characterized.
On Aimee: Yellow blazer by Balmain, black bodysuit by Chanel, ripped jeans by J Brand, buckle belt by Chanel, strappy heels by Jimmy Choo x Off-White, and saddle bag by Dior
8. An LBD. A little black dress is a key piece that every woman should own. It’s a must-have because it knows no season. You can wear it repeatedly, and give it a new look every time through layering and accessorizing. Aimee shares, “I got myself a good vintage Chanel mermaid-cut dress from the 90s, which is classic and still very wearable to date.”
Gabrielle CHANEL drew from her collections to create a look that evoked the splendour of the 1920s, as well as a modern and timeless elegance. The little black chiffon dress made an impression and immediately became “the Marienbad dress”. #CHANEL #BiennaleCinema2018 #LastYearAtMarienbad
Photographs by BJ Pascual
Makeup by Mickey See
Hairstyling by Renz Pangilinan