SIMPLY DESSERTS: Calamansi Tart With Coconut Crust
Calamansi Tart with Coconut Crust
Makes one 8-inch tart
- 3/4 cup butter cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons toasted desiccated coconut
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup calamansi juice
- 8 egg yolks
- 4 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1/4 cup toasted desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a round 8-inch Springform pan and line with baking paper.
2. Combine the butter cookie crumbs, coconut, sugar, and melted butter. Press the mixture into the buttered and lined pan to form an even crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
3. To make the calamansi curd, combine the calamansi juice, egg yolks, whole eggs, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over low heat until it reaches 84°C, stirring continuously. Cool the mixture to 45°C. Then fold in the softened butter.
4. Pour the calamansi curd over the baked cookie crust. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the curd. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
5. Place freshly whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with toasted desiccated coconut.
For a mellower, less sour taste, you can bake the tart again after filling it with calamansi curd. Just sprinkle powdered sugar over the curd filling and bake for about 10 minutes. Or you can set the filling, sprinkle sugar, then torch the top just like with crème brûlée. You can also use the curd as filling for sponge cake or make a cookie sandwich by spreading the curd between 2 butter cookies.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, February-March 2014 issue
Styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz
Photo by Paulo Valenzuela