Your Kids’ Favorite Chocolate Spread Hides A Sneaky Secret
If your kids don’t like veggies, then here’s a tricky way to getting them to eat their daily dose of nutrients, in this case—beans! The subtle sweetness of the mongo or mung beans goes perfectly well with chocolate. This version may not be as smooth as their favorite commercial chocolate spread, but cover it up with caramelized bananas and they will hardly notice.
Chocolate and Mongo Spread
- 1/4 cup green mongo (mung beans)
- water, enough to boil the mongo
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 8 bread slices
- 1/2 cup sugar, for caramelizing
- 1 cup water
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
1. In a casserole, bring green mongo beans to a boil until tender. Mash mongo to make into a paste. Set aside.
2. Melt dark chocolate chips on a double boiler or microwave oven.
3. Combine mongo paste and melted chocolate in a bowl and lightly mix.
4. Spread onto bread slices and lightly toast in the oven toaster.
5. In a pot, cook bananas in water, letting it boil for 10 minutes. Add sugar to the pot. Let it simmer until sugar dissolves, stir until it thickens slightly. Arrange caramelized bananas on top of toast.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, April-May 2015 issue
Styling by Golda Ranada
Photography by Justin de Jesus