Here’s The Secret To A Healthy Salad That Won’t Leave You Hungry
In honor of National Rice Awareness Month this November, we’re putting red rice in everything we eat, even our salads! No need to reheat the rice. You can just eat the dish cold and enjoy like any salad—we promise it’s tasty and will fill you up, too. You can mix in chopped walnuts for added crunch and nuttiness.
Couscous Salad-style Red Rice
- 1 cup red rice, cooked in water seasoned with salt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or regular size red ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup dried mangoes, diced
- 1/2 cup dried fruit bits
- 1 bunch coriander (wansuy), chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Fluff cooled red rice and set aside.
2. In a big serving bowl, combine cucumber, tomatoes, dried fruit and wansuy.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk lemon zest, juice, and olive oil with a fork until it thickens or emulsifies. Season well with salt and pepper and add to vegetables.
4. Add rice and fold in gently to keep the grains intact. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, August-September 2014 Issue
Styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz
Photography by Paulo Valenzuela