The Flavors Of The Mediterranean Come Alive In This Simple Tapas Dish
Dates with Bacon
Serves 8 to 12
- 24 whole almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 24 pieces pitted dates
- 12 rashers of honey cured bacon, sliced lengthwise
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, toss together almonds, olive oil, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Transfer almonds to a baking tray and roast for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
3. Stuff each date with a roasted almond. Wrap stuffed date with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. You may also fry the dates in a little oil. Serve immediately.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, April-May 2014 Issue
Styling by Jill F. Sandique
Photography by Paulo Valenzuela