Do Like The Americans And Roast A Whole Turkey For Thanksgiving Day On November 22
Relleno de Pabo (Roast Stuffed Turkey)
Serves 12 to 15
- 1 whole turkey, about 4 to 5 kilos
- salt, to taste
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 kilo ground beef
- 1 kilo ground pork
- 3 pieces chorizo Bilbao, sliced
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup olives
- 3/4 cup pimiento morrones, chopped
- 1/2 kilo chestnuts, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons pickle relish
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Baguio beans, blanched, for garnish
- baby carrots, for garnish
1. Marinate turkey in salt, garlic, and wine for 2 days.
2. In a bowl, combine beef, pork, chorizo, raisins, olives, pimientos, chestnuts, pickle relish, and egg. Mix well to combine.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Stuff cavity of the turkey with the meat mixture. Rub whole turkey with butter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
4. Roast until cooked or golden brown, about 2 1/2 hours. Baste every 15 minutes with pan drippings. Insert meat thermometer to the thickest part of the turkey. It should register 180°F when done.
5. Garnish with Baguio beans and baby carrots. Serve with giblet gravy, Kentucky yam (recipes below), and cranberry sauce.
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- turkey pan drippings
- 2 cups chicken stock
- giblet (liver), cooked, finely chopped
- parsley, for garnish
1. Melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Add drippings and chicken stock and mix thoroughly.
2. Strain the mixture into a bowl or a large gravy boat.
3. Mix in the chopped giblets as toppings. Garnish with parsley.
- 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup rum or bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon orange juice or vanilla extract, optional
1. Boil sweet potatoes until tender or cooked.
2. Mash sweet potatoes then add remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, November-January 2016 issue
Photography by Paul Del Rosario