An Easy, Tasty Lasagna Without The Meat—And The Noodles!
A no-meat, no-pasta lasagna? Yes indeed! Just layer eggplant, zucchini, tomato sauce, and cheese for an extra flavorful gluten-free vegetarian lasagna. It works great as a vegetable side dish, that can be paired with grilled or roasted chicken. And if you really can’t resist the meat, you can top this lasagna with chopped spicy Italian sausage.
Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna
Serves 6 to 7
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (800 grams) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup quick melt cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 large zucchini, cut into 2, then sliced 1/2-inch thick vertically
- 3 large eggplants, cut into 2, then sliced 1/2-inch thick vertically
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a heavy saucepan, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
4. Combine egg, ricotta cheese, quick melt cheese and basil in a medium bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
5. In a large baking dish, spread about 1/3 of the cooked tomato sauce at the bottom. Layer zucchini on top of the tomato sauce. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta mixture on top of zucchini slices.
6. Arrange second layer with eggplant slices, tomato sauce and remaining ricotta cheese mixture.
7. Top with remaining sauce, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
8. Bake covered for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, June-July 2014 issue
Styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz
Photography by Paulo Valenzuela