Here’s How To Liven Up Your Sandwiches With These Sweet And Creamy Relishes
Fruits in your sandwich spreads? These sweet and creamy relishes work great as standalone sandwich spreads or as relishes to burgers, hotdogs, and chicken or ham sandwiches. Feel free to use other fruits like canned peaches for that touch of fruity sweetness.
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 ripe avocadoes, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup freshly cut cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine diced avocadoes, chopped mango, lime juice, canola oil, and honey in a medium bowl. Mix well.
2. Stir in the chopped cilantro until well combined.
3. Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving.
Fresh Pineapple and Cream Cheese Relish
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 small (300-400 grams) fresh pineapple, skinned, cored and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds or pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet bell pepper
- 2 pieces chives, minced
1. Using a blender, pulse cream cheese until smooth. Add cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, condensed milk, and fine salt. Blend until well combined.
2. Transfer cheese mixture to a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir in pineapple slices, toasted almonds, chopped bell pepper, and minced chives. Mix well.
3. Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 to 2 hours.
These recipes first appeared in FOOD Magazine, February-March 2014 Issue
Styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz
Photography by Paulo Valenzuela