Enjoy These Ice-Cold Smoothies To Quench Your Thirst This Summer
Against the warmth of the summer sun, anything that can cool you down fast is always welcome. There’s no need to spend extra cash on a designer drink, though. Simply stock up on a few basic ingredients, load your personal blender and down some of summer’s freshest bounties.
Thai Iced Tea
Makes one 16-ounce drink or two 8-ounce drinks
- 4 bags black tea
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tamarind or sinigang mix
- 2 fresh pandan leaves
- 1 star anise
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon condensed milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coconut cream
- Steep tea bags, ground tamarind or sinigang mix, 1 pandan leaf, star anise, cardamom, and cinnamon in boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Strain tea and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer tea mixture to a blender. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, sugar, and condensed milk. Pulse until well blended and frothy.
- Fill a glass halfway with crushed ice. Pour tea over ice. Top with fresh coconut cream. Garnish with pandan leaf. Serve immediately.
Iced Coffee Jelly Shake
- 1/4 cup freshly brewed strong coffee
- 1 1/2 cups coffee flavored ice cream
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- whipping cream for garnish
- Combine brewed coffee, ice cream, and fresh milk in a blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour over prepared glasses with coffee jelly (recipe below). Top each glass with whipped cream. Serve immediately.
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong coffee (use 2 scoops regular ground coffee per 1 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon unflavored gelatin powder, dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
- In a small saucepan, combine brewed coffee with white sugar and gelatin-water mixture. Stir over low heat until well blended.
- Pour coffee mixture into a medium square or rectangular pan. Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut coffee jelly into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Divide coffee jelly cubes into two and pour into two 8-ounce glasses.
Green Apple and Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 green apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
Mix everything in a blender. Pulse until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
Or try these 5 easy variations:
- Use 2 ripe Cavendish bananas instead of green apple.
- Trade 1/2 cup fresh orange juice for fresh milk.
- Add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, replace green apple with one ripe Cavendish banana, and replace fresh milk with low fat soy milk for an even healthier smoothie!
- To turn it into a protein shake, add about 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseeds or toasted oats. Or crumble your favorite multigrain bar and sprinkle over your smoothie.
- For a more kid-friendly option, top with a dollop of chilled whipping cream and one wafer stick.
This article first appeared in FOOD Magazine, April-May 2014
Recipes by Aby Nachura
Photography by Justin de Jesus
Styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz