EVERYDAY DINNERS: Lemon Tea Chicken with Sweet Potato Fries
Lemon Tea Chicken with Sweet Potato Fries
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 bulb lemongrass, pounded
- 1 whole chicken, freshly dressed, cut into 8 pieces, cleaned, and pat-dried
- 1 sachet lemon iced tea powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- coconut oil, for searing and deep-frying
- 2 large sweet potatoes, orange variety, peeled and cut into French fry strips
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine lemon juice and pounded lemongrass bulb and set aside to infuse the flavors. In another bowl, blend iced tea powder, salt, pepper, and flour.
3. Toss lemon juice and chicken pieces together. Rub iced tea blend all over chicken. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and sear chicken on both sides. Transfer to a baking dish. Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden and fully cooked.
4. While chicken is roasting, heat enough oil to deep-fry the sweet potato fries. Drain and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the roast chicken.
You can make this recipe the day before. Just marinate the chicken pieces overnight with the infused lemon juice and tea rub to allow the flavor to seep deep into the meat. Then simply sear and pop in the pre-heated oven the following day.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, February-March 2014 issue
Styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz
Photo by Paulo Valenzuela