LIGHT AND RIGHT: Ratatouille Panini
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup diced squash
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 wheat ciabatta rolls, baguette, or rye bread
1. Heat sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and diced onion to the pan. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized.
2. Add carrots and squash, continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until partially cooked.
3. Add eggplant, zucchini, red bell pepper and continue to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, basil, parsley, thyme, then salt and pepper, to taste.
5. To assemble, slice the bread and toast both sides in the oven. On the bottom half, spread the ratatouille then cover with the top.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, February-March 2014 issue
Styling by Nancy Dizon-Edralin
Photo by Paulo Valenzuela