We Promise You Won’t Miss The Meat In This Melted Cheese-And-Mushroom Sandwich Delight
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 500 grams fresh button mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 English muffins, ciabatta, focaccia, or baguette
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots. Cook while stirring until tender.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until mushrooms are tender, fragrant and juicy. Remove from heat, taste, and adjust seasoning.
4. Layer bottom slice of bread with mozzarella cheese. Top with the sautéed mushrooms and top mushrooms with mozzarella cheese. Cover it with the top slice of bread.
5. Place sandwich in the oven and toast until the cheese melts, about 4 minutes. Remove from the oven, cut the sandwich in half and serve.
For added greens, top the sandwich with fresh arugula or spinach.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, February-March 2014 issue
Styling by Nancy Dizon-Edralin
Photo by Paulo Valenzuela