Ready To Party! Last Minute Party Prep Without The Rush
You can’t call it a traditional Filipino holiday spread if there’s no fruit salad in the buffet. It has been Filipinos’ standard party dessert for generations—and that’s likely never to change. But, there’s always room to play around with the basic recipe of fruits in syrup combined with cream. In this case, Chef Pixie goes for a truly kaleidoscopic fruit salad with the addition of colored gelatin and ice cream cones. This is one of those last-minute, throw-it-all-together desserts that even your kids can do. For a tropical version, change the gelatin flavors to yellow-colored pineapple or lime. Use “fiesta” fruit cocktail with tropical fruits and, instead of vanilla ice cream, choose mango, coconut, or any tropical flavor instead.
Rainbow Window Fruit Salad
Serves 6 to 10
- 1 pack (85 grams) red gelatin
- 1 pack (85 grams) green gelatin
- 1 pack (85 grams) orange gelatin
- 2 big cans (411 grams) fruit cocktail, drained
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream, scooped
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1/2 cup crushed colored ice cream cones
1. Cook red, green, and orange gelatin according to package instructions. Let them set then refrigerate overnight.
2. The next day, unmold gelatin and cut each color into cubes.
3. In a big serving bowl or in individual bowls, combine gelatin cubes and fruit cocktail.
4. Top the mixture with scoops of vanilla ice cream. Pipe top with whipped cream.
5. Sprinkle with crushed ice cream cones. Freeze for an hour before serving.
This recipe first appeared in FOOD Magazine, Issue 4 2015
Styling by Pixie Rodrigo Sevilla
Photography by Paulo Valenzuela