You Won’t Be Able To Resist This Grilled Cheese Sandwich On National Cheese Day
Cheese, bread, and butter—the unholiest trinity as far as I’m concerned. Even more sinful as a grilled cheese sandwich in all its toasty-melty-creamy glory. For National Cheese Day celebrated every June 4, I’m definitely hankering for one of these, made even more indulgent with the addition of bacon (yes!), thanks to food writer Ginny Mata’s recipe below. She shares, “In the dead of the night, when the whole house is sleeping, I creep down to the kitchen, and make this sandwich for myself. The richness of butter, the decadence of the melted cheese pairs perfectly with basil tomato soup too.”
The Ultimate Grilled Bacon-Cheese Sandwich
By Ginny Mata
- 2 slices white bread (like Pullman-style loaf), crusts on, sliced not more than 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon full-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 slices bacon, fried to a crisp
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar (or any melting cheese such as gruyère or raclette)
1. Heat a heavy pan or griddle over medium low heat.?
2. On one side of the bread, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise. Do this for both bread slices.?
3. On the other side of the bread, spread a thin layer of butter. Also do this for both bread slices.
4. Place the bread, mayonnaise side down, in the pan. Distribute the cheese evenly on top of the buttered slices.?
5. On one bread slice, nestle the bacon strips on top of the cheese.?
6. When the cheese is halfway melted, put bread slice on top of the other, then press lightly to melt. Flip the sandwich, and press again.?
7. Keep flipping the sandwich, pressing gently, until the sandwich is compact, both sides are crusty, and the cheese is melted.
A longer version of this article first appeared in FOOD Magazine, Issue 1, 2016
Photos by Paulo Valenzuela
Styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz