Make Your Home A Healthy Haven With These Disinfecting Tips
Whether or not there is threat of viral infection, it is always good to come home to clean surroundings
You’ve washed your hands several times, worn the face mask, too. What else can you do at home as safety precaution against the spread of viruses? We share these house cleaning tips for the general health of your home.
Singapore’s NEA released a guide for disinfecting homes that may have been exposed to the Wuhan 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) virus. Here are their recommendations to prevent its further spread at home:
- For homes that have been exposed to the Wuhan Coronavirus, avoid hosting visitors until the place has been sanitized.
- Avoid sharing household items like dishes, utensils, towels and bedding.
- Clean homes with windows open and wearing a face mask to avoid the harsh fumes from disinfectants
- Do not touch face and eyes during the cleaning process
- Mop with disinfectant. Use a cloth soaked in disinfectant to wipe frequently touched surfaces: door knobs, keyboards, switch plates, toilet seats, flush handle.
- Mattress, pillows, bedding used by someone suspected to have the virus should not be re-used.
- Wear rubber gloves when collecting laundry of people who have been infected by a virus.
- When clean-up of the home is completed, all the cloths, mops, wipes that have been used to clean should be put in double lined plastic bags and thrown away.
- Wash hands with soap and water after cleaning the home.
- When you remove your mask after cleaning, wash your hands again. Take a shower and change clothes immediately then air out the home again.