11 Things You Need To Know About Alexi Lubomirski, Prince Harry And Meghan Markle's Official Wedding Photographer
Learn more about the creative genius behind the photos set to immortalize one of the most romantic occasions in the lives of British royals.
The same photographer who lit up our screens with three beautiful engagement portraits of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry is returning to the scene as the couple's official wedding photographer. He'll be at the front and center of the ceremony scheduled to take place tomorrow.
The master lensman is none other than Alexi Lubomirski, a sought-after fashion photographer whose experience ranges from work with some of the world's most prestigious glossy titles to exclusive shoots with A-list names and high society's finest.
Discover the man who discovered his love of photography in his childhood—and made it his mission to capture life's most vivid moments with timeless photographs.
1. Alexi was 11 years old and in middle school when he got his first camera. It was given as a gift by his stepfather who encouraged him to pursue his artistic interests.
2. Alexi has been immersed in different locales including Paris, Brighton, New York, Peru, and Botswana. His multi-cultural exposure has allowed him to develop a unique eye for striking visuals.
3. Alexi thanks Mario Testino—a pillar of enduring fashion photography through the years and the photographer behind Prince William and Kate Middleton's engagement portraits—who helped him get his big break. Alexi apprenticed for him for four years, until his experience led him to work independently with several worldwide Vogue titles, Allure, GQ, W, and Harpers Bazaar UK.
4. His time in Peru before going off to college was what solidified his passion for his craft. He continued practicing photography in college, where he was enrolled at Brighton University and graduated with a degree in photography, with a focus on narrative-based fashion photography.
5. Other recognizable names that Alexi has worked with include Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon, Lupita Nyong'o, Beyonce, Charlize Theron, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, Natalie Portman, and Jennifer Lopez, to name a few.
6. Alexi is somewhat of a royal himself, too. When he was a young boy, he learned from his mother that he is, indeed, a descendent of the five-century old Polish House of Lubomirski through his half-French, half-Polish father. His complete royal title is His Serene Highness Prince Alexi Lubomirski.
7. Alexi also penned a curious little book titled Princely Advice for a Happy Life. The publication was dedicated to his two young sons and written to help them maneuver a well-mannered 21st century life as descendants of nobility.
8. It was Meghan who discovered Alexi. The photographer, who happened to be in London during the royal couple's official engagement announcement, was recommended by a mutual contact. The royal family was so happy with his work that he was invited to cover an event as important as a royal wedding involving one of the clan's most high-profile members.
9. He described Meghan and Prince Harry as "deliciously in love" during his engagement photo shoot with them at Frogmore House. He was especially touched by their effortless chemistry and genuine happiness.
10. Aside from fashion photography, Alexi, who calls himself a self-proclaimed "cheeseball," also enjoys capturing love in all its forms. He's especially fond of photographing couples in the early stages of their relationships.
11. At the royal wedding, Alex is tasked to cover the ceremony at St. George's Chapel, as well as the events following the nuptials that will take place in and around Windsor. His audience can expect many photographs highlighting Meghan and Prince Harry's most loved up moments.
Cover and content image from @alexilubomirski