Eddie Garcia Dies At 90—Here Are Some Of The Legendary Actor's Best Quotes
Screen legend Eduardo Verchez Garcia—known by eight decades of filmgoers as Eddie Garcia—has passed away. After suffering a neck fracture while taping for an upcoming television show, he was rushed to the Makati Medical Center where he’d been in critical condition for almost two weeks.
In a statement released yesterday, Makati Medical Center said: “We join the entire Filipino community in praying for the soul of Mr. Garcia and his dearly beloved family and friends.”
Here's the medical bulletin from the Makati Medical Center announcing that Eddie Garcia passed away at 4:55 p.m. on Thursday, June 20. pic.twitter.com/QpAtD43Pof— ABS-CBN News (@ABSCBNNews) 20 June 2019
Eddie has over 600 films credited to his name—both as an actor and as a director. He has worked with movie queens such as Sharon Cuneta and Nora Aunor, and was a consistent collaborator of Vilma Santos and Dina Bonnevie. Just a few days before his death, he was awarded a Gawad Urian for his performance in the Cinemalaya film “ML.”
The film icon has given some of the best words of wisdom anyone can offer. Here are some of those:
1. “Do it well, no matter how small,” he said in a 2012 interview, about his philosophy on acting and in life.
2. When asked if he preferred film over TV or vice versa, the screen actor said, laughing: “It’s the same. It’s a job.”
3. “My first aim is always box office. The film that I’m doing should make money for the producer so that he’d be able to do another project,” he said, on his principles as a director. “I never think of awards. If it comes, it’s a bonus for a job well done.”
4. “I never dream of a role. It would be useless because if it never comes to print, it’s just a waste of time.”
5. “Retirement? No! What would I do? I’ll just get bored, I’ll just be in the industry as long as it needs me. Manood kayo, hindi kayo magsisisi,” he had said once.
6. He had famously said in an interview with ABS-CBN in 2012: “Gusto ko from death bed, deretso sa crematorium. May kaibigan akong piloto, 'yung ashes ko, itatapon sa dagat, sa Manila Bay. No obituaries.”
7. “You have to live with it,” he had said of the impact his wife’s passing had on him.
8. “Every role assigned to me is a challenge,” Eddie said, when asked what challenges he looks for in his acting career. “Do it well, because it will be the best recommendation for another job.”
9. “I’ve practically done all kinds of roles. Mayroon na lang isang hindi ko pa nagagawa: leading lady.”
10. Eddie, who had lost two children, was asked how he dealt with that. Simply, he said: “Life must go on.”
Ang ABS-CBN ay nakikiisa sa buong bayang nagluluksa sa pagpanaw ng isang alamat na si Eddie Garcia. Ang ating Tito Eddie, na may tunay na pangalang Eduardo Verchez Garcia, ay kilala bilang isa sa mga pinaka-premyadong aktor at direktor sa Philippine television and cinema. Isa naming karangalan na si Tito Eddie ay naging bahagi ng aming pamilya. Siya ay hinangaan sa kanyang katangi-tanging pagganap sa mga TV show tulad ng Ang Probinsiyano, Wansapanataym, Nathaniel, Give Love on Christmas: The Gift Giver, Sana Bukas Pa Ang Kahapon, Honesto Juan dela Cruz at Maalaala Mo Kaya. Nagmarka rin ang kanyang pagganap sa mga pelikula ng ABS-CBN katulad ng Bwakaw, Ang Panday, Praybeyt Benjamin at iba pa. Si Tito Eddie lang ang tanging indibidwal ang hinirang sa tatlong kategorya ng Hall of Fame sa FAMAS: Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Director. Sa mahigit pitong dekada at 600 pelikula, ipinakita ni Tito Eddie ang ibayong husay at propesyonalismo sa trabaho. Sana'y mabigyan namin ng sapat na pagpupugay ang kanyang talento at pagiging mabuting tao. Maraming salamat at hanggang sa muli, Manoy Eddie.
Source: ANCx interview
Photos by Philippe Lopez, AFP and Mark Demayo, ABS-CBN News