Want to Slip Into the Diamond Life? Here Are 9 Facts About SEVENTEEN
SEVENTEEN goes edgy in “Attacca” teaser for their comeback happening this October 22一from ready to love, here comes the attack!
Carats all over the world are gearing up as K-pop powerhouse SEVENTEEN recently launched the concept trailer for their upcoming comeback on October 22.
Dubbed “Rush of Love,” the trailer’s opening frame featured a strike out over the word “Boyhood,” signaling that the members are leaving their youth behind as they evolve into a more mature version of themselves.
“Rush of Love” is the follow-up concept to the “Power of Love” project released by the group earlier this year. The 13-member group一composed of Choi Seungcheol, Yoon Jeonghan, Hong Jisoo, Moon Junhui, Kwon Soonyoung, Jeon Wonwoo, Lee Jihoon, Seo Myungho, Kim Mingyu, Lee Seokmin (DK), Boo Seungkwan, Chwe Hansol (Vernon), and Lee Chan (Dino)一revealed that their theme for the year is centered on love, particularly the different types of love people encounter in their daily lives. This project started off with the single of Wonwoo and Mingyu “Bittersweet,” released last May, which featured the complexity of love when it gets in the way of friendship. Meanwhile, the carrier single of their previous album, “Ready to Love,” showed the act of confessing and acknowledging their feelings towards another person.
Since the news of their comeback first broke out in September, SEVENTEEN has been releasing their teaser photos online, which further fueled their fans’ anticipation and excitement. As a matter of fact, “Attacca” broke the previous record set by the group after it surpassed 1.41 million pre-orders a day after its release. At this rate, SEVENTEEN is likely to score their fifth consecutive million-seller album.
The first concept teaser images showed the casual vibe of the members lounging indoors. The second concept teaser was done by units—the Hip Hop Team donned biker outfits and gear, the Vocal Team went with a calm water-themed shoot, while the Performance Team went all out and dressed to the nines in their sharp tuxes. Along with the concept photos, they also released the behind-the-scene videos on their YouTube page.
The 13-member group started the year strong with an online concert “In:complete” in January, followed by individual releases by several members, proving they are indeed all-rounders. Jun released “Crow” and “Silent Boarding Gate” in February. Performance leader Hoshi launched “Spider” the following month alongside a special number on M-Countdown, caving in to his fans’ demands. The8 released his solo single “Side by Side” in both Korean and Chinese, same goes with Jeonghan, who surprised Carats with his “Dream” song last month. The group’s maknae Dino also showed his dancing prowess with his own spin to “Hollywood is Bleeding.”
DK returned to the theater scene as King Arthur in the musical “X Calibur,” and he also dropped a beautiful rendition of “Is It Still Beautiful” by Yoo Hee Yeol together with his members Seungkwan and Woozi, which became one of the official soundtracks of the drama Hospital Playlist 2.
SEVENTEEN also took their fans to a trip with their own season of In the Soop. For this comeback, the group will be promoting without their “China Line,” as Jun & The8 have scheduled activities in China. Despite this, Carats are still looking forward to the official teaser videos which will drop on October 20 and 21, and the big one on October 22, 12PM PHT (1PM KST).
Want to slip into the Diamond life? Here are some facts about SEVENTEEN:
1. They are called SEVENTEEN because it is the sum of 13 members, three sub-groups, and the one team they form when they all come together. It’s also the average age of all the members when they were initially grouped by their management, Pledis Entertainment.
2. Two members are Chinese, two are Americans, and the rest are South Koreans.
3. Given that it is a challenge to equally divide a four-minute song among 13 members, SEVENTEEN has three official sub-units: Hip Hop (S. Coups, Wonwoo, Mingyu, Vernon), Vocal (Woozi, Jeonghan, Joshua, DK, Seungkwan), and Performance (Hoshi, Jun, The8, Dino); and various “lines”–Leader Line, BBS Line, ’95, ’96, ’97, ’98, etc. you get the picture.
4. Speaking of sub-units, the special unit BBS or BooSeokSoon group composed of Seungkwan, Hoshi, and DK made their own debut and even released one song titled “Just Do It.”
5. SEVENTEEN has promoted itself as a self-producing group since they debuted in 2015. In their first mini-album 17 Carat, Woozi wrote some songs, while Hoshi developed the choreography for the major singles. By 2017, all members of the group had writing credits.
6. 17 Carat became the longest-charting K-pop album of the year in the US and was the only rookie album to appear on Billboard’s “10 Best K-pop Albums of 2015” chart.
7. The fan name “Carat” started off from their song “Shining Diamonds,” because their fans are their diamonds, their carats.
8. They have their own show, “Going Seventeen,” or GOSE. Watch it when you wish to know each member better. We highly recommend the Mafia series for the long-running rivalry between Hoshi and Mingyu or the TTT episodes whenever you are in need of a good laugh and learn all their crazy drinking games.
9. The last stop of their “Ode to You” world tour was in Manila before it was cancelled because of the pandemic.
Photos from @saythename_17