5 Things You Should Know About Newly-Engaged Couple Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Another royal wedding is set to happen. Clarence House has released a statement yesterday about the engagement of Prince Harry, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II who is fifth in line to the throne, and his American girlfriend Meghan Markle.
The statement read, “His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle,” adding that “the wedding will take place in Spring 2018.”
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/zdaHR4mcY6— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) November 27, 2017
Meghan’s parents also issued a statement through Kensington Palace, saying, “We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry…We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future together.”
Ms. Markle's parents, Mr. Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland have wished the couple 'a lifetime of happiness.' pic.twitter.com/H4kpTgpkYE— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Yesterday, following the announcement of their engagement, the couple went to Kensington Palace Gardens for a photocall.
Prince Harry & Meghan Markle arrive for a photocall at Kensington Palace Gardens on the day their engagement is announced. pic.twitter.com/YkcEvosY9L— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle are "thrilled and happy" to be engaged. pic.twitter.com/HBz30SbZVE— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
As we daydream about this royal nuptials, here are noteworthy things about the couple and their relationship:
1. It was in July 2016 when they met in London. According to reports, their matchmaker was fashion designer Misha Nonoo, ex-wife of Alexander Gilkes who happens to be one of Prince Harry’s school friends. Misha and Meghan happen to be close friends, too.
2. In October 2016, news came out that the couple had been dating for about two months at the time. In November 8, 2016, the confirmation of Meghan being the girlfriend of Prince Harry was made public when Royal Kensington Palace issued a statement on the “wave of abuse and harassment” Meghan had been going through; in the statement, Meghan was referred to as Prince Harry’s girlfriend.
3. Meghan was born and raised in Los Angeles, California to parents Tom Markle and Doria Radlan. Her father is white while her mother is African American. When rumors about Meghan’s relationship with Prince Harry surfaced, the Suits star became the topic of malicious articles that had “racial undertones.” This prompted Prince Harry to issue a statement regarding the matter.
Kensington Palace has issued a statement this morning about the harassment currently being experienced by Meghan Markle and her family. pic.twitter.com/EuFZ4fmUIj— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 8, 2016
4. They made their first public appearance together, looking very sweet while laughing and holding each other’s hands, at the wheelchair tennis event on the day 3 of Invictus Games Toronto 2017 last September.
5. Meghan, who was married to film producer Trevor Engelson, confirmed her and Prince Harry’s relationship last September in an interview with Vanity Fair, wherein he referred to him as her “boyfriend.” She said, “We’re a couple. We’re in love. I’m sure there will be a time when we will have to come forward and present ourselves and have stories to tell, but I hope what people will understand is that this is our time. This is for us.”
Well, that confirmation was just about two months ago, and her “boyfriend” is now her fiancé! And that makes Meghan the first American to be officially engaged to a British royal.