8 Things To Know About Prince Mateen, The Royal Competing In The 30th SEA Games
The Brunei royal is in the country for polo
You’ve probably heard of it: there’s an actual Prince in the Philippines now, and his team just clinched an early victory in polo last November 24 at the Inigo Zobel Polo Facility. Since then, he’s made the rounds on social media, as his debonair and smoldering looks translate too well on camera. Prince Mateen of Brunei lives a lavish lifestyle and his Instagram is, without a doubt, #goals.
Here are 8 things to know about the 28-year-old Prince:
1. The Prince, whose full title is His Royal Highness Prince Abdul Mateen, son of His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin, is the son of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, the 29th and current Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of Brunei. Prince Mateen is the tenth child of the Sultan, and he has Bruneian, Japanese, and English blood in him through his mother. He’s closest to his elder brother and two sisters. In an interview with GQ Thailand, he said that “We do everything together, grew up together, and live together... Their love and support has been a very positive influence in my life.”
2. This is not the first time the Prince has competed in the Southeast Asian Games, participating first in 2017. That year, his team won the Bronze Medal for Polo in the Men’s Tournament in Kuala Lumpur.
3. As with any other male royal, he has served his country by way of the military. Prince Mateen graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2011 and is now a lieutenant. He’s referred to his completion at the school “probably one of [my] accomplishments to date that I am most proud of.”
4. Aside from polo, which he’s been playing since 2015, he loves other types of sports, too. “I do some boxing. I play football, and Badminton. I was in the military, so anything that keeps me fit and going makes me happy,” he said in the same GQ Thailand interview.
5. In 2016, he was pursuing his Masters degree abroad, in International Diplomacy at SOAS University in London. But when he’s not studying or attending to his royal duties, he’s just like us—he likes to relax. “I like my free time and I like to spend it with my close friends chilling and watching movies.”
6. He’s a big fan of David Beckham. He grew up as a big football fan, and until today he supports Manchester United. He even used to get the same haircuts as Beckham.
7. He’s looking for a woman who is “genuine and real.” He’s one of the most eligible bachelors on the planet, so we’re sure that whoever charms and captures his heart will be a very lucky girl!
8. He’s a certified helicopter pilot, keeps exotic cats as pets, plays the guitar, and enjoys skiing as well! A well-rounded Prince, indeed.
Photos from @tmski