4 Women "Unpacked" The Truths About Modern Dating
Attention, ladies! Here's everything you need to know before you swipe right and slide into someone's bee hive on Bumble
Far from a socially distant walk in the park, finding love mid-pandemic isn't easy but there are unlikely positives you should be happy about. Bumble is a safe place for anyone who wants to explore or give online dating a try once again.
In case you don't know how it works, men and women can create their own Bumble profiles with their photos, interests, and goals, but here's the catch: only women can make the first move! Don't fret, because you can never be too forward in Bumble. This time around, you won't have to wait to be chosen because you have the power to write your own story, on your own terms.
Speaking of women who know a thing or two about love, dating, and sex, Bumble invited four insightful women to talk about the online dating culture in the Philippines. Moderated by educator, content creator, and Miss Universe Philippines 2021 delegate Ayn Bernos, the panel brought together the great minds of Dr. Margie Holmes, a Clinical Psychologist specializing in sex therapy; Ana P. Santos, an independent journalist; and Lucille McCart, APAC Communications Director of Bumble.
In the recently concluded panel discussion, these four women talked about tips and debunked a lot of myths about online dating. From Bumble's upgraded features, data on online dating, their thoughts on ghosting, the Maria Clara concept, and the misconceptions about making the first move and more, here's everything you need to know before you swipe right and slide into someone's bee hive.
1. In a recent study conducted by Bumble in the Philippines, 49% of Filipinos surveyed believe that it's possible for one to fall in love through online dating. Around 53% are looking for a committed serious relationship, 18% are looking for casual relationships, while 12% are actually dating with the intention of getting married! If this data doesn't make you want to create your Bumble profile now, would you mind if we just create one for you? You can thank us later.
2. If you're not sure what you should be looking for in the app, this data might help you decide. Bumble's study also found out that most Filipinos prioritize personality and emotional connection above everything else. Filipinos are not interested in dating someone without ambitions or future goals as well as those who discriminate based on physical appearance, race, ethnicity, or religion.
3. Variety is not the spice of life anymore! As the saying goes, it's quality over quantity and it's the same with online dating. There's no point in collecting matches or dates when you don't have time to talk to all of them anyway. Keep your options slim and remember to make every conversation worthwhile!
4. Do not throw your pearls to swine. Put simply, don't offer what you hold dear to someone who won't appreciate it.
5. If women are allowed to be themselves in Bumble, men should be comfortable to be themselves too. Create a safe space for you and your match to openly talk about your interests as well as some issues and unpopular opinions you might want to discuss before taking the next step.
6. Be intentional and don't beat around the bush. Know what you want and how to say it!
7. Ghosting is not a form of rejection but a revelation you might just need, to see what you're truly looking for. What's coming is far more better than what's gone.
8. You don't have to worry about giving your personal information or the need to transfer to other messaging apps, make use of Bumble's voice notes, video call options, and conversation prompts to make interactions safer and warmer.
9. Look for a teammate and an equal. It also helps to focus on what you can offer to the relationship.
10. Success in online dating is not necessarily all about finding your one true love. Success can come in the form of a good conversation, a good date, or simply meeting new people. Never close your doors on love, friendship, or anything in between!
Lead photo from Unsplash/Madrona Rose