Change Your Summer Scent With The Help of Essential Oils
Back in the day, essential oils have been used in various cultures for medicinal and health purposes. And even up to this day, they are gaining more and more popularity as a natural, safe and cost-effective therapy for a number of health concerns mainly because of their antideppresant, stimulating, anti-bacterial, and calming properties.
Adding essential oils to your personal lifestyle can really make a big difference. This is especially true because such oils have benefits that are vast and can be used for many things such as aromatherapy, household cleaning products, personal beauty care, and natural medicine items.
Just recently, we attended the official launch of Young Living, where discovered what Young Living Essential Oils are all about, including am exclusive tour and a hands-on activity for mixing our own essential oils blends with the brand’s Global Education Specialist, Leslie Lewis.
READ: Healthful, Helpful Oils
To know more, we enlisted some of the best combinations for your diffusers, bath and skincare needs, plus, where to use them and their health benefits, all with the help of the Young Living Philippines team. Read on to get the lowdown:
These summer-perfect diffuser blends fit right in if you want to make your summer days brighter, get your kids to go bed earlier, or if you want to bring a that vacation vibe to your home.
Freshen up your home with a delicious smell of these new blends:
Orange Creamsicle Diffuser Blend
• 5 drops Orange essential oil
• 5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
Lemon Bars Diffuser Blend
• 4 drops Lemon essential oil
• 4 drops Stress Away essential oil blend
• 2 drops Lemongrass essential oil
Whether you’re grilling in the backyard or sitting on the patio under the stars, this blend will boost the night air and can instantly lighten up your mood.
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
• 5 drops Citronella essential oil
• 2 drops Lemongrass essential oil
• 2 drops Melaleuca Alternifolia essential oil
• 3 drops Geranium essential oil
Kids do have a license to stay up later during the summer break. It seems though that the later they stay up, the harder it is to get them to sleep. Get kids on the first train to dreamland by creating a consistent bedtime routine, starting by filling their room with this blend of Lavender essential oil and Cedarwood to encourage a relaxing setting.
Dreamland Express Blend
· 4 drops Lavender essential oil
· 2 drops Cedarwood essential oil
· 2 drops Vetiver essential oil
· 2 drops Geranium essential oil
Refresh your home with oils that you and your family will love. Fill every room with an inviting aroma minus the synthetic stuff.
• 6 drops Purification essential oil blend
• 3 drops Lemon essential oil
• 1 drop Melaleuca Alternifolia essential oil
Enjoy the spirit of aloha with this tropical blend. Sweet, earthy Cedarwood is complemented by the citrus in Stress Away and Citrus Fresh. Close your eyes and you’ll be able to hear waves crashing and tropical birds singing overhead.
• 4 drops Stress Away essential oil
• 3 drops Cedarwood essential oil
• 3 drops Citrus Fresh essential oil
Want to feel extra pampered or to relax after a long day? These lavish Do-It-Yourself salts can do just those!
Follow this DIY guide to customize your bath salts and prep yourself for a dip into luxury!
What you’ll need:
• 1 cup coarse sea salt
• ½ cup Epsom salt
• 2 tablespoons baking soda
• 25 drops of essential oil
• Natural food or soap coloring (optional)
• Extra decoration (optional)—flower petals, citrus zest, glitter
• Bottles or jars with tight lids
Instructions to craft your bath salts:
1. Place coarse sea salt, Epsom salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
2. Mix 25 drops of essential oil and food coloring (if using) into the bowl with salts. See blend recipes below.
3. Add in your extra something—dried lavender petals, citrus zest, even glitter! Show off your creativity.
4. Combine all ingredients together in a jar with a tight seal and store for your next luxurious bath.
Please note that salt is a natural preservative that keeps ingredients like these from going bad for thirty days. After you combine the salts with the zest or herbs, let the mixture dry out for 24 hours before putting a lid on it.
Soaking in the bath salt: Add up to ¾ cup of your finished product to your steamy bathwater and let the magic happen!
Bath Salt Recipes:
• 13 drops of Lavender essential oil
• 12 drops of Cedarwood essential oil
Extra something: Dried lavender petals
• 25 drops of PanAway® essential oil
Extra something: Color variation—separate the salts into three bowls, adding 1 drop of blue food coloring to one bowl, 3 drops to the second bowl, and 5 drops to the third bowl. Mix all the salts together for a colorful look.
• 13 drops of Peppermint essential oil
• 12 drops of Rosemary essential oil
Extra something: Fresh mint leaves, shredded in your food processor or blender
For skincare/beauty recipes.
Certain essential oils have skin-cleansing properties that can help reduce the appearance of blemishes and improve the appearance of healthy- and even-looking skin, no matter the skin type. We consider that a serious super power!
Follow some of our six skin-cleansing favorites:
1. Add 1-2 drops of essential oil to your face wash every morning for daily cleansing.
2. Mix a penny-sized amount of raw honey with 1 drop of oil in your hand. Massage over your face and let sit 5-10 minutes before rinsing.
3. Combine ½ cup of colloidal oatmeal with 7 drops of essential oil. Stir well. To use, mix ½-1 teaspoon of your new facial wash with a little water and apply it to wet skin. Rinse thoroughly.
4. Blend 1 drop of oil with 4 drops of V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex and use a cotton ball to apply the solution to your freshly washed face.
5. Create your own facial mist spray with 2 ounces of water and 10-20 drops of essential oil.
6. Make a DIY toner by filling a 3-ounce glass bottle with witch hazel and adding 10-15 drops of oil. Shake before applying with a cotton ball.
Essential oils that help cleanse the skin:
Melaleuca Alternfolia. Commonly known as tea tree oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia is a multitasker—it moisturizes as it cleanses! The purifying properties of this essential oil make it one of our top picks, especially for those who have oily or blemish-prone skin. Speaking of blemishes, try applying 1 drop to a cotton swab and use it as a spot treatment to help reduce the appearance of bothersome blemishes!
Geranium. Want to know the secret to beautiful, glowing skin? Geranium essential oil. A secret no longer, you can “go for the glow” at home by adding a few drops of this potent oil to your current skin care routine. You’ll find it harder to spot those uneven areas but easier to see healthier, radiant-looking skin!
Frankincense. No skin care list would be complete without Frankincense. Use this one if you like an oil with an earthy, uplifting aroma and the power to reduce the appearance of uneven skin tones. With Frankincense, a fresh, dewy glow is only an essential oil bottle away!
Grapefruit. Citrus lovers, unite! Our cold-pressed Grapefruit essential oil is a treat for the senses and the skin. Add this citrusy oil to your favorite skin care products to enjoy its sweet, invigorating scent as you cleanse. As an added bonus, you’ll also enjoy silky, soft, smooth-looking skin.*
Orange. As surprising as it seems, you can use Orange essential oil for oily skin. Apply Orange to oily areas, including that pesky T-zone, before bed and see if you don’t wake up with skin that appears smoother and more balanced. Your baby-soft skin will thank you for using this citrusy oil.*
*Avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying this product.
Lead photos from Young Living Philippines